Sunday 24 April 2011

dogs and family

A friend of mine has been involved with the Assistance Dog Blog Carnival for the past several rounds, and has encouraged me to participate, even though I am a new blogger. The topic for this Carnival is "reactions". I have decided to write about my family's reactions to my foster puppies. My family has always reacted negatively to my fosters, they think it is a lot of work and don't really understand the joy I get from fostering. I live on my own, but like to visit my parents every few months.  

When I brought home my first foster (Honey), she was a year and a half old and pretty much a terror. She stole food, would shove toys in their faces, and generally make a mess. She was definitely a work in progress, but for a dog that had been a rescue she was very loving and outgoing. After the first weekend I took her home, they decided that Honey could not come visit again. I was very disappointed that my family did not support my involvement in the program, and that they were not willing to make accomodations for my foster puppy.

c
Honey (fostered February - April, 2009)

My second foster followed shortly after Honey (who was disqualified for the reasons above). Ace was an adorable 9 week old puppy, and I was so happy when he was welcomed with open arms. Until he grew up. My parents would get upset when he would get excited and scratch the hardwood floors, pull sticks from the forest and leave them on the grass, and get hair all over the back of the car. When Ace was disqualified for having a health issue, I decided to keep him, so these issues continue today.

Ace (fostered June 2009-Feburary 2010,
then adoped)
When I told my family that I was going to get another foster puppy, they were very upset. Their comments went something like this: "you already have a dog, why do you need another one?" "You are wasting your life with these dogs" "Well it can't come home, so you'll have to think about that". To be honest, if they were not going to support my decision, I decided that I just was not going to come home. Fortunately I found out I was going to get Willow when she was only about 2 weeks old, so I had lots of time to prepare my family. In the 8 week period before I brought her home, they decided that maybe she could come to the cottage, and then maybe she can come home when my dad wasn't there, and finally "ok bring both dogs". Willow was allowed to come home with me from when she was 10 weeks until 10 months, and now my parents have decided that it is just too many dogs (what!?!) and that she cannot come.

Willow (fostered August 2010 - present)

I should mention that my family had a lab/shepherd cross when I was a kid, and currently has a small poodle cross, so overall they like animals. My mother was also an Educational Assistant (EA) for several years, and has a degree in Disability Studies. She is always promoting rights for the differently-abled, but cannot understand why I would want to spend my free time socializing a puppy to help children with autism. She supports service dogs, but just thinks someone other than me should raise them. This type of reaction has always baffled me, as I don't understand how you can support an end result without supporting the process.

3 comments:

  1. Good thing I'm not their daughter lol!

    I think it's so sad to know your parents still do not support your fostering. I remember a feeling of surprise when you first told me your parents didn't want your dogs visiting with you and then mentioning that they had their own pet dog. Most people who have dogs don't tend to mind if there's a second or third - or a million in my case lol!

    My family does not like visiting us much because of all the dogs, but I don't mind because it just means I don't have to deal with the comments and questions that come along with being their relative lol! My sister used to be terrible for complaining about the hair she'd be covered in after visiting, but now she has her own dog and could care less lol! Hopefully some day your parents will realize that fostering means a lot to you and that no matter what they think, you're not going to stop doing what you enjoy :)

    So glad you decided to participate!! Give Ace a big hug from me, he's such a crazy boy, but I love him anyways!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can sympathize with your difficulties with your family. I never had a dog growing up and as soon as I could be on my own and get rescue one, I did. My parents never understood my desire. I've had two more rescues since, and now raise puppies for Leader Dogs for the Blind. They still don't get it, and my dogs aren't welcome in their home, but I honor that. My mom now asks me lots of questions about my puppies and when they visit ME, she is surprised that my pet dog Gypsy gets excited to see them. Gypsy is very polite, but she makes it obvious that she knows they are special people. My dad had a bad experience with a dog as a kid, so I can almost forgive him his attitude--and I think my mom would be more accepting, except for my dad. Oh well, gotta love em anyway! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You forgot to mention somewhere in this:
    1) Your supportive sister who loves to babysit your dogs and loves your dogs in general and is very jealous since she doesn't have dogs of her own :)
    and
    2) the THOUSANDS of dollars the parents just spent on the brand new house that poor Aces feet literally tears apart when he moves because he's too big and too excited for his own good!
    just throwin that out there
    ps. LOVE colins dad chillin in the background of the picture with you and baby ace hahahhahaha

    ReplyDelete